Saturday, March 9, 2013

I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately, it's not uncommon to have a night where I am only sleeping 4 - 5 hours. . .which in turn means by 8 pm the next evening, I'm fast asleep. Speed ahead 9 hours, and at 5 AM, even on Saturday, I am wide awake since I slept for so long. So this morning as I'm sitting wide awake hours before my family will join me I decided to do the only logical thing I could think of. . .try out a new recipe!

Somehow we ended up with quite a few blackberries this week, and no one seemed to be eating them, so they were a perfect candidate for this morning's breakfast. Last summer I made a variety of crumb and coffee cakes of the cinnamon and blueberry varieties, but I don't have a good blackberry recipe. I started off with Martha for some inspiration. After a few changes, here's what we we're eating. . .

What you'll need

Crumb topping:
4.5 TBSP butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup AP flour
1/4 tsp salt

Filling:
10 oz blackberries (2 small containers)
4 oz olive oil
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup AP flour

Start by combining the ingredients for the crumb topping with a pastry cutter or fork. Once large clumps form, put it in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vanilla, and powdered sugar.

Once fully combined, add the eggs and whisk.

Add the salt, baking powder and flour. Pour into a well greased square glass pan.

Add the blackberries

Now, add your crumbly topping, and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees, or until a toothpick comes out clean (if the crumbly topping sticks to the toothpick, that's fine).


Breakfast, YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment