Sunday, March 3, 2013

Blueberry Crum(y) Cake

I've been on a bit of a blueberry crumb cake lately, or as my sous chef likes to call it, crummy cake. I've made a couple different varieties and finally decided I could make a lower calorie version if I made my own. So, here's my own version of the classic blueberry crumb cake.

I have found the "crummy" cake to be quite versatile. It's a great dessert, or, when made the night before, it makes a great breakfast treat. And. . .since I added oats to the topping, I think we can all make a sound argument for this being a "healthy" treat right? OK. . .maybe that was taking it a bit far, it's certainly not a health food, but, for a yummy treat, its actually not that bad.

What you'll need
 
 Topping
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup Whole Wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • pinch of salt
  • 4 Tbsp olive oil

Cake
  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 1/2 cup AP flour
  • 1/2 cup Whole Wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 4 Tbsp applesauce
  • 1 cup blueberries

Start my combing the ingredients for the topping and set aside

Next, take the dry ingredients for the cake, mix together, then add the wet. Once it's combined, add you blueberries. I recommend washing your blueberries long in advance to ensure they're dry. Otherwise, they can add some extra water to your cake that isn't needed.

Now pour your cake batter into a lightly greased square baking dish, evenly disperse the topping and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Let it cool and then enjoy. Prick the middle with a tooth pick to make sure it's done, depending on your oven it may need up to an extra 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment